[LMB] OT: update

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sat May 22 22:53:04 BST 2021

Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's more than one kind of artificial leg?
>
> *glyph of astonishment*
>
> The things I learn on this list...

Certainly.  Apart from the obvious...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1qieAjSdU

... there's a lot of research on the subject, with complications about
what's "fair" for athletes to use.  They range from fairly basic static
prostheses to those that work with nerve signals to varying degrees.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2218474-a-prosthetic-leg-that-attaches-to-nerves-feels-like-part-of-the-body/
-----
Participants were able to walk up and down stairs an average of 30 per
cent faster when the sensory input was turned on. Similarly, they were
up to seven times more likely to fall over an unseen object without
input from the sensors.

The technology behind prosthetic limbs has been advancing rapidly in
recently years. Different types of controllable prostheses convert
electrical signals from the brain or body into movements in the device,
which is especially useful in controlling the fine movements of the
hand.

One UK group has developed a bionic hand that uses artificial
intelligence to automatically grab objects, speeding up the time it
takes to learn how to control these artificial limbs.
-----

Kevin, I'm glad to hear that you're making progress.  I know it has been
painful and frustrating, but you're getting there.

Joel