[LMB] OT: DRM removal

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Sun May 23 17:02:51 BST 2021

------ Original Message ------
From: "Howard Brazee" <howard at brazee.net>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
Sent: 5/23/2021 11:08:54 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: DRM removal

>>  On May 23, 2021, at 8:17 AM, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>  Was it an unsolicited email? If so, I wouldn't touch what it recommends with a ten foot firewall.
>>
>>  Ask yourself, how much do you trust the person who sent you that email? If you don't and if you didn't specifically ask them for DRM removal advice, delete the email and anything you may have downloaded based on it's advice. I hope you use a regularly updated antivirus, and keep your software up to date.
>
>In general, never use an e-mail to get the product being pushed.   Use it like I use Wikipedia, as an initial introduction to the product.   Even after doing your research and deciding to buy, do so very carefully from a different direction.

Over a number of postings, I hope/believe that I have made clear my view
on DRM: it does not usually bother me. So I do not intend to use any
software to remove it. I own several apps for the removal of DRM (Epubor
apps and calibre), but I am too lazy to bother. But I received that
email and I was wondering...

Harvey