[LMB] Is Ma Kosti (and groats) essential to Barrayaran culture?

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue May 25 20:56:56 BST 2021

Yes ... to some extent.  Or maybe it depends on what one’s ancestral food was?

My parents, who grew up in Pullman, WA, and Milwaukee, WI, and raised us in Massachusetts, cooked fairly standard (boring?) American meals (my mother learned to cook out of Joy of Cooking and Betty Crocker, her mother being a good cook but not a good teacher), and my husband’s parents cooked fairly standard English home cooking (which is delicious, don’t let anyone tell you different), and while I still make and love the spaghetti/lasagne sauce my mother used to make (which she learned from Italian neighbors in graduate school in Chicago) and my husband still makes baked goods out of the Be-Ro cookbook, our normal cooking is way more varied and adventurous than theirs.  Partly that is because so many more items are available now than were in Massachusetts and Lincolnshire in the 1950s-1970s: kiwis, mangos, avocados, starfruit, pierogies, ingredients for Asian cuisines, Nutella, hummus, tahini, muesli, pomegranates, goat cheese, yoghurt, parsnips (I know those were available in the UK, but I never saw them growing up in the US).  That’s just from looking at grocery lists on my phone from the past year.  Of course I might be forgetting some things that we did have, and some items may have been available but my parents never got them.  The proliferation of cookbooks from all over the world — and now of recipes available on the internet — is also a factor.

Anyway, shawarma poutine sounds delicious and I want some.

Katherine