[LMB] OT: can't skip to the end of an ebook?

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri May 28 17:56:50 BST 2021

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 7:44 AM Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:

> [...]

You own the paper. Exactly.  It's in your home, you can write on it, or
tear out a page you don't like, or loan it to your friend - make that a
former friend, if they don't give it back.

But apparently Amazon still owns the words on 'paper', and can make
changes.  Sometimes that's good - as Lois noted, various typos were
corrected even on  bought-and-paid-for copies.  But sometimes people just
want to own their own stuff, not have a copy which is hosted on someone
else's server.

See also, shareware (is this the right term?)  where Microsoft let's you,
at home, pay to use Word & XL based of their own servers, instead of
downloading the programs to use at home.  This idea fills me with horror,
even though it's a perfectly valid method for some people.

My stuff is mine, I don't want it hosted on someone else's server.

Gmail does this too, but I delete most of the mail so I don't care as much.

Sylva