[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon---my thoughts (SPOILERS)

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 17:03:57 BST 2021

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 2:41 AM markus baur via Lois-Bujold <

> On 29.05.2021 10:28, Eric Oppen wrote:
> >

> > That said, I would have used a different person as the assassin.  The big
> > problem with coercing someone into that sort of role is that the other
> side
> > can, if they capture her and figure out what's going on, flip her very
> > easily.  Just convince her that you can protect her from her former
> > employers, and she's yours.

<snip>

 that sort of thing works better with volunteers, preferably
> > volunteers who're really fired up about what they're doing and why.
>
> yes - a "true believer" usually works better for this kind of thing ..
> (but even true believers could be flipped)
>
> otoh this was a very small scale operation (in order to keep it secret)
> .. so they simply might not had the opportunity to look for a true
> believer (and a true believer in WHAT - both nationalism and ideology
> driven true believers would be anachronistic in this setting)

Yes ... in a setting like this, what you'd want would be a fierce personal
loyalty, and from what we see of Methani, he really doesn't seem the type
to inspire it. I can't help wondering if, political considerations aside,
he might be *jealous* of someone like Adelis Arisaydia, who definitely can
inspire loyalty.

> > The Empire itself gives me the impression of what Alexander the Great's
> > empire might have been like had it held together after Alexander's death.
>
> or a well developed byzantine enmpire ...

Byzantine is definitely what I've been thinking all along. It fits the time
period, and the real-world Byzantine Empire always was a kind of blend of
Greek and Roman; they called themselves the "Roman Empire" but everybody
spoke Greek!

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>