[LMB] Not really off topic puppy name

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sun May 30 20:28:09 BST 2021

A week ago my retirement puppy joined our family — 8-week-old golden retriever Moonlit Meadows Goldberry.  We will mostly call her Berry.  Like Eowyn, our last much-loved golden retriever, the name Goldberry is from Tolkien -- Tom Bombadil's fair lady Goldberry, River-woman's daughter.  Berry is also Berry Clearcreek from the Sharing Knife, who is a counterpoint to Tolkien's Goldberry, as Sharing Knife is to Lord of the Rings.  And as River-woman's daughter, Berry is also connected to the Rivers who are genii loci in Aaronovitch's Rivers of London books.

Katherine