[LMB] OT: software-as-a-service, was can't skip to the end of an ebook?

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Mon May 31 10:54:32 BST 2021

------ Original Message ------
From: "Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold" <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Cc: "Beatrice Otter" <beatrice_otter at zoho.com>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
Sent: 5/30/2021 11:51:33 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: software-as-a-service, was can't skip to the end
of an ebook?

>---- On Sun, 30 May 2021 02:29:12 -0700 Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote ----
>
>It is not as all that. First, Microsoft 365 is available for $95.00 US
>on a yearly basis. Second, once you install it, it is yours. The yearly
>charge is only for updates. Thirdly, there are LOTS of free clones to
>Microsoft Office; why don't you try one of those?
>
>Harvey
>

>Beatrice Otter:
>
>To clarify, Microsoft will only tell you about the subscription service unless you dig through, but you *can* dig through and find a "buy once and not on a subscription and you won't get any updates ever but you also won't have to pay a regular fee" option.
>

>Beatrice Otter

Yes, BUT Office (one time purchase) does not contain all the apps that
you get with Microsoft 365. Office does not include Access, nor OneNote,
OutLook, and Publisher. You get Windows, Excel, and PowerPoint. I use
Access a lot. If you use only Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and the annual
cost really bothers you, then Office may pay. But not for me.

Harvey